Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice

Today, as I walked across the garden, the sun was just peeking over my neighbor's house. The chill in the air was not too cold. I didn't need my beanie or the hood on my sweatshirt. A good sign, to me, on the last morning of autumn.
In the autumn, I pull my energy inward and regroup. Kinda like Gaia. It is a process that has grown over the years. My beloved friend Jerry was a great teacher for me about that. Allow the rhythm of the planet to be your guide, Laura.
I wouldn't describe it as a battle against society and this nutty world that I am living in. It's moreso like moving in harmony. I am creating a world around myself that is so lovely and calm that it helps to balance the craziness that is showing up outside of my home. The Dalai Lama encourages us to be happy, thereby reducing the suffering in the world.
So, happiness is mine. In greater amounts each day. I sit at my desk with too much work to accomplish. In an instant I am in deep gratitude to have these tasks on my desk. They are shaping me into a greater Laura. I serve a higher purpose with my work and that, my friends is a great blessing.

Tonight we move to the return of the light. The Winter Solstice. Jerry would say it's the first day of Spring. Simply because he had been watching the diminishing light on his farm and was ready to start seeds in his greenhouse. It's the night of hope. Or possibility. In my mind's eye I see myself as a child with an impish grin looking toward the sun and delighting in its warmth and the beautiful light it sheds.
This is my holiday, the winter solstice...the real season! In the way a child delights in the pretty packages under the tree, I delight in the return of the light. I am ready.

This beautiful farm has been pulling her energy inward as well. A true reflection of the one tending to it.
We are on a hillside above the San Luis Rey River Valley, on the north slope. I watch out my window as the emerging sunlight touches the valley and the mountains...the south slopes. We wait for the light on our north slope and see great long shadows across the planting beds. Patience is mine for the next few weeks as we prepare for more sunlight across this beautiful valley to touch us as well.

In the mean time I finish the work of the world and plan the work of my home farm. I heard some people talking about the rat race yesterday. Funny term isn't it? I am not a rat. This is no race. I am enjoying the journey.

The light grows in my heart. It leads me to joyous experiences. It heals my sorrows. All is well. The year winds to completion and I am beginning to see the light of a very promising year ahead.

May your solstice light shine ever brighter.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment