Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Garden Update

It's time to write about the garden again!!
We have been scurrying about at the business of growing food and my head has been all over other places.......Thinking all the time. That is why I have been writing about life's questions and such. We have time to chat and think about life as we tend to the tasks in the beauty that is our sweet little farm.
Yesterday I was thinking about the simplicity of all the growing that is done around the world. Particularly the small-sized family farmers who grow for their local markets and their own families. The satisfaction of planting those seeds and harvesting the crops is a feeling that I share with millions of people around this planet. I love this work. How would it be to further simplify my life and let go of the complications of the modern existence. Will I get to that in my lifetime? Hmmmmm.
Last year we had about half of the farm developed. As we headed into fall we scrambled to find sunny spots for growing. We did pretty well, considering. Now we have a large section that gets sun most of the day. Those beds were planted over the last week and they look great. There is a great feeling of satisfaction. I am gonna dwell in that today and corral the thoughts of worry that try to override the Good. I prefer the power of the positive.
The citrus trees are full of fruit....almost overloaded actually. We took great care to get them fertilized and with the abundant rains that Sam captured they have had plenty of water. More about that another time. I am stashing glass jars to freeze the juice...only if we don't drink it all right away!
The greenhouse has new transplants going. I can get some pictures ready to share. It's a miracle every time the seeds sprout. Every time. The combination for forces has to be right on, you know?
This Sunday we will be joined by a farmer from Peru. He will live with us for a few weeks and we are THRILLED. This means that we have extra support for some infrastructure projects that have been pushed down to the bottom of the to do lists.
Colour me happy......

i thank you God for this amazing day; for the leaping greenly spirits of the trees and for the blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes.
ee cummings


No comments:

Post a Comment